8ozs. (225g) cooked and boned chicken
4 ozs. bread - crusts removed
(2 ozs. pistachio nuts finely chopped or blitzed - if wanted)
1 tablspn. olive or a salad oil
juice of 1/2 a lemon
salt and white pepper
flour for coating before frying
Sunflower or similar oil for frying
1. Soak the bread in some water and squeeze out as much of the liquid as possible. Set aside.
2. Blitz, mince or chop the chicken in your food processor. (Include the pistachios if using). Remove to a large bowl.
3. Add the rest of the ingredients, to taste, (except the flour) - measurements are not crucial. Knead thoroughly.
4. Shape into patties or small balls, and gently roll in flour. Shake off the excess flour and drop into hot oil (the oil doesn't need to cover the balls - you can turn them over).
5. Fry until golden, remove and leave on kitchen paper to get rid of excess oil.
TIP: dont try and turn them over too early - they will tell you when they're ready! When the underside has a crust on it, it's usually ready to turn. Use a flat spatula.
These can also be poached in soup and served hot.
Are also good eaten cold.
Claudia Roden recipe.